Monday, December 17, 2007

Chapter 1 : A purpose

Raised up as the youngest of three, I’m used to getting what I want from my siblings. But don’t get me wrong, my parents were strict when it comes to discipline. Believe me, even when I was 6, I was still getting beatings from my father. Gotta be honest, at that age, I hated him for that, but as time goes by, I soon begin to realize that it all happened for a reason. 13 years later, I am now instead thankful for the days where my dad would do all he could to correct my mistakes. Call it child abuse for what I care, if it wasn’t for him at that time, I can barely imagine what kind of a rascal I would turn out to be at this age. Not that I’m any good now.

Unlike the destination of the flight I’m in right now, I wonder where will life take me in the future.

As I got to myself, I realized it was already dark, everyone was tucked into their seats, sleeping soundly, mind-wandering to places only dreams could take them to. It’s kinda fun to see all those innocent faces enjoying their nap not noticing the things taking place around them. The big screen 3 rows in front of me was showing yet another episode of The Simpsons, – which has been going on for the entire journey, don’t they have anything else to put on? – only 3 flight attendants were at sight at this hour – one seen trying her very best to make up what an old European lady is trying to tell her, another walking with 2 cups of what looks like dairy milk, probably for the two young sisters sitting a few rows behind us, and another rushing to the cabin crew area, passing by the first attendant to attend to the phone that has been blinking for quite some time – and from what I could make up, the group of children beyond the curtain up ahead who were very noisy before this are all sleeping as well. Like the others, Casey is also taking her time off, enjoying solitary to my right, while on my left, mom and dad were going through the pictures we took together at Rachel’s graduation ceremony, admiring how beautiful the set was and how gorgeous she looked in her graduation gown – they just can’t seem to stop.

I’ve always believed that everyone was born with a main purpose in life intended solely for them. Dad’s to win the all time favourite CEO of the year award, mom’s to climb all the way up to the most seek after lawyer in the country, Casey’s to emerge as the most valuable gymnast in the team and Rachel’s to follow dad’s footsteps and earn her first million someday – after she brings back the MBA she just graduated with. Everything just sounds so perfect in this family of five. Except for me.
Till today I can’t seem to find my life’s main aim, my goal, my motivational factor.
My inspiration…

Sudden turbulences make my already dizzy head even worse. I simply don’t get people who actually get ‘used’ to flying to a point that they actually enjoy it. It’s totally the other way around for me. The first few times I flew, I actually looked forward to the whole thing, and I enjoyed it from start to the end, from the acceleration from 0 to 300 km/h in just a blink of an eye all the way till the smooth touchdown and the long stroll to the terminal. But as time goes by, and as I boarded more flights, I tend to get sick of it. Literally.

“Are you okay there, Nathan? You don’t look so well, “ mom noticed my already pale face.

“ It’s kicking in again, isn’t it, son? “ , my old man adds in.

“ I’ll be fine, just leave me alone for a minute, “

I’ll just need to take my mind off the fact that we’re 8000 feet off the ground for a moment, that’s what I always do, just allow my mind to wander, and it’ll all go away, dizziness and all.

No comments: